Personally, this has caused enough grief in the past (both ways, actually!)
that I 'd say this is a major version change.
I agree with John. Either value of conserve-sockets can crash or hang your
system depending on your use case.

If this was just a matter of slowing down or speeding up performance, I think
we could change it. But users that are impacted won't just see their system
slow down. It will crash or hang. Potentially only with production sized
workloads.

With conserve-sockets=false every thread on the server creates its own sockets
to other servers. With N servers that's N sockets per thread. With our default
of a max of 800 threads for client connections and a 20 server cluster you are
looking at a worst case of 800 * 20 = 16K sending sockets per server, with
another 16K receiving sockets and 16K receiving threads. That's before
considering function execution threads, WAN receivers, and various other
executors we have on the server. Users with too many threads will hit their
file descriptor or thread limits. Or they will run out of memory for thread
stacks, socket buffers, etc.

-Dan