I’m considering a change in client/server communications that I would like
feedback on.

We haven’t changed on-wire client/server communications since v1.8 yet we tie
these communications to the current version.  The support/1.14 branch
identifies clients as needing v1.14 for serialization/deserialization, for
instance, even though nothing has changed in years.

If we put out a patch release, say v1.12.1, clients running that patch version
cannot communicate with servers running v1.12.0.  They also can’t communicate
with a server running v1.13.0 because that server doesn’t know anything about
v1.12.1 and will reject the client.  To solve that problem we currently have to
issue a new 1.13 release that knows about v1.12.1 and users have to roll their
servers to the new v1.13.1.

I propose to change this so that the client’s on-wire version is decoupled from
the “current version”.  A client can be running v1.14.0 but could use v1.8.0 as
its protocol version for communications.

This would have an impact on contributors to the project.  If you need to
change the client/server protocol version you will need to modify
KnownVersion.java to specify the change, and should let everyone know about the
change.

See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GEODE-8963