From: Alexander Murmann <amurm...@vmware.com>
Sent: Friday, April 9, 2021 2:46 AM
To: dev@geode.apache.org <dev@geode.apache.org>
Subject: [DISCUSS] Monthly, synchronous community meetings

Hi everyone,

On occasion we see discussions on PRs, here on the mailing list that might be
move much quicker if we chatted synchronously about some of these topics and
then shared the meetings notes back to the mailing list. Of course, our usual
processes for voting and additional discussions would still need to be just as
accessible as they are right now on the mailing list to anyone who cannot
attend a meeting. However, it might allow us to move these discussions along
faster and also create a stronger sense of community.

I've seen similar things done in Kubernetes Special Interest Groups
(example<https://github.com/kubernetes/community/blob/master/sig-node/README.md>)

Meeting Specifics
Frequency: monthly
Time: It seems like most of our community is distributed between Europe and the
US. 3pm/15:00 UTC (11amEDT/8amPST/17:00 CEST) seems like a good compromise.
How: We'd have a Confluence page to gather topics ahead of time. Topics should
be added with as much lead time as possible, to allow interested community
members to plan attendance. We'd use the same page to take meeting notes.
Topic examples: RFC discussions, process proposals (like the recent codeowner
introduction), show & tells of recent changes, controversial PRs, the sky is
the limit till we find certain topics are better in a dedicated meeting.

As with everything, I'd expect us to iterate and evolve this

Does this sound valuable to everyone? How could this be better?