It's been almost a month since this discussion was started, and all the
Geode community intends to do? Should there be a [vote] email sent out to
confirm this course of action?
________________________________
From: Alexander Murmann <amurm...@vmware.com>
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 5:15 PM
To: geode <dev@geode.apache.org>
Subject: [discuss] Future of the geode-redis module

Hi Geode community!

A while ago engineers from VMware started to improve the geode-redis module
that has been in Geode for several years, but never had been completed. This
involved adding more tests for existing functionality, as well as adding
support for more commands.

VMware will not continue this investment in the geode-redis module. While the
geode-redis module is in a much better place than two years ago there still is
a lot of work left to make it a viable option for most of our users and the
module is still in an experimental state.

For the community this poses the question of what we want to do with the
existing code. This work now has been started and stopped twice. All code comes
with a maintenance burden which adds
up<https://nam04.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fben.balter.com%2F2016%2F07%2F21%2Fremoving-a-feature-is-a-feature%2F&amp;data=05%7C01%7Cdoevans%40vmware.com%7C3d08029d93f8465add5408da1e751bbb%7Cb39138ca3cee4b4aa4d6cd83d9dd62f0%7C0%7C0%7C637855785572189285%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C3000%7C%7C%7C&amp;sdata=GyE2Pj9QlqCtABg2%2BF0VCZ1RRHh5D%2Bm1STb%2B1fwtuAc%3D&amp;reserved=0>.
 Dependencies might need to be updated; flaky tests fixed and it brings
cognitive overhead for us and our users. Unless someone else in the community
steps up to take on the task of maintaining the geode-redis module, I propose
to remove the code from our develop branch and give everyone more bandwidth to
use elsewhere.

Thank you all in advance for your thoughts