The dialog window that opens in the Geode JIRA when creating a new ticket
currently has three mandatory fields; Project, Issue Type and Summary, which
are necessary for every ticket. There are also three optional fields for
Component, Description and Affects Version, since there are cases when a ticket
can be created without needing these details ("Affects Version" has no clear
meaning for tickets with the "New Feature" issue type, for example).

However, in the case of tickets with the "Bug" issue type, I feel that an
"Affects Version" should be a mandatory field, as the version affected by a bug
is vital information when it comes to triaging and fixing bugs, and I
frequently see tickets filed with this field not filled in. I'd like to propose
that we change this field to be mandatory for new Bug tickets. Please let me
know what you think about this idea, or if there are issues or complications
that I've missed.

Donal