Also note that projects that evolve out of commercial projects often have a
very hard time moving design decisions to a mailing. It is much more
natural to continue using well known communication paths.

The point, however, of moving to Apache is, well, moving to Apache.  That
involves more than just moving the semi-colons into an Apache git instance.
It also means moving many customs and traditions. This can be hard.

This can be even harder because it is even harder to see the need or even
the lack because it really hasn't been any other way for most of the
participants.

Reading the threads that Roman cites can be very helpful if you try to
think about why each participant says what they say. What motive do they
have in their head that makes what they say make sense?