+1

What is the Apache way? If there are no strict guidelines as to how Apache projects are supposed to release, then I vote we an existing "standard".

--Udo

On 1/8/16 10:48 AM, John Blum wrote:
For clarification, the "RELEASE" version qualifier is only used for the
final GA (production-grade release), not any other version.  So, by way of
example, (using Spring Data GemFire
<https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-data-gemfire/releases> [0]) the
release series will progress as follows...

1.7.0.M1
1.7.0.RC1
1.7.0.RELEASE
1.7.1.RELEASE
1.7.2.RELEASE
1.8.0.M1
1.8.0.RC1
1.8.0.RELEASE

There can be any number of milestone and release candidates in between.

With Spring, rather than having alpha, beta, etc type releases, we just use
milestones (which implies things are changing... feature additions,
enhancements, bug fixes, etc) while release candidates indicate hardening
of the release version (mainly bug fixes, perhaps minor enhancements that
won't destabalize the build) and final RELEASE of course, indicates, it is
ready for production.

Hope this helps.

-John

[0] - https://github.com/spring-projects/spring-data-gemfire/releases