Hi,

Firstly, great job on producing the first RC. From an ASF release PoV, the
main concerns for me would be gemfire-joptsimple and the binary distro
NOTICE file and those stop me giving a +1 vote. From a user PoV the
dependencies in the maven pom look painful, trying to determine which can
safely be excluded.

1. Source Distribution
* I checked the LICENSE, NOTICE & DISCLAIMER files were present
* The LICENSE file looks good
* The Copyright in the NOTICE file should be updated to "2015-2016"
* I ran RAT over the source distro with no exclusions and all looks good
* After installing Gradle, the source distro built without any issue (ran
"gradle build")

2. Binary Distribution
* I checked the LICENSE, NOTICE & DISCLAIMER files were present
* The LICENSE file looks good
* The Copyright in the NOTICE file should be updated to "2015-2016"
* The NOTICE file in the binary distro should include any NOTICES from
Apache Licensed dependencies - I found NOTICES for Spring, Netty & Snappy
and attached details to GEODE-610

3. Maven Artifacts
* The ASF frowns upon distributing other open source projects without their
consent and gemfire-joptsimple (& perhaps gemfire-json) raises concerns.
Also not re-packaging it means users could face a dependency issue if they
also use joptsimple. Lastly, "gemfire-joptsimple" could violate someone
elses mark.
* pom dependencies look like an issue - see below
* It would be better if the maven artifacts were named "geode" rather than
"gemfire"
* pom files don't have the license header
* The gemfire-junit-1.0.0-incubating.M1.jar is empty so would be better to
not create this maven artifact
* The ".asc" files don't need checksums (".asc.md5" & ".asc.sha1" files)

4. pom dependencies
I did a quick scan of the required dependencies for gemfire-core (listed
below). If I'm building a gemfire client and depend on gemfire-core, do I
really need all those dependencies? Do I always need them for a gemfire
member? Looks to me like some of them should be "optional" or "provided" -
especially some of the logging stuff. From a quick look at some of them:
* Spring Framework only referenced in CLI & Web, except XmlEntity (uses
org.springframework.util.Assert) and PdxInstanceImpl (uses
org.springframework.util.StringUtils)
* SequenceFile only class to directly reference commons-logging
* commons-lang only used in hdfs & CLI
* javax.mail only used in MailManager
* Jetty only referenced by ManagementAgent & RestAgent, except for
CumulativeNonDistinctResults
* Netty only referenced in the redis package
* Can't find any reference to slf4j

5. gemfire-core required dependencies
 * antlr
 * commons-io