On Nov 10, 2004, at 12:29 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

On Nov 5, 2004, at 1:29 PM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

Log4j GBeans

Our current log4j gbeans attempt to control the creation of log objects, priories... basically the log4j configuration. The problem I have found is any application can come along and "reset" the current log4j configuration and reinitialize the system. I do not believe there is any way to prevent this. It is on of those problems that everyone had control which in effect gives no one control.

I propose that we drop all of our gbeans that try to control Log4j and instead go to a single gbean that exposes the operations of LogManager, and a log4j.xml file (as a big string). The big string would be a persisted to somewhere like var/log4.xml.

I just committed this. We now have var/log/*-log4j.properties to control the server, client and deployer logs. I'd appreciate any feed back quickly, as we are going to (try to) cut M3 tomorrow afternoon.

What are the repercussions for existing users?

-dain

[EMAIL PROTECTED]