The DefaultDB is older and predates Derby's arrival at the ASF. Services that needed a database backend were using it.

When Derby arrived and was integrated I added it as System DB so we could see how it would work out without disrupting any of the existing services.

In our environment Derby has several advantages over Axion (such as XA) so I think it makes a better choice for user apps. Given that and that we probably only want one embedded DB I think it makes sense to transition gradually to Derby.

--
Jeremy

Aaron Mulder wrote:
Actually, that should be "Purpose of Derby & System DB". I was mixed up -- the "default DB" is the Axion one that's used, the "system DB" is the Derby one that seems optional. Sorry.

Aaron