I just double checked on a clean machine and https works without an Apache login. I believe the problem is you did not install svn+ssl.

If you don't have permission to upgrade the svn client on your computer, you can try http://tmate.org/svn/ which is a pure java subversion client that supports http, https, svn and svn+ssh connection protocols.

-dain

--
Dain Sundstrom
Chief Architect