On Feb 23, 2005, at 10:14 AM, Dain Sundstrom wrote:

On Feb 23, 2005, at 9:24 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

On Feb 23, 2005, at 12:23 AM, David Jencks wrote:

+1 on canonical name as internal string representation
-1 on attempting to preserve whatever string is used to construct the gbean name

I've been following from the peanut gallery, and like deployment, this seems to be a required topic for participation, so I need to ask :

Why not preserve the string? it has no intrinsic meaning, does it? And thus, why not let it be preserved as a convenience for the user?

That way, JSR77 name retain their conventional structure, for example...

You're assuming that we build JSR77 names in a canonical format, and we don't. It is the job of the console to format a name into something readable by a user. IMO this is a tree and not a list of 200 character names.

But I don't assume that geronimo is only used for things where JSR77 is relevant...

I think it's really important that we remember how useful the Geronimo container is w/o J2EE...

geir

-dain

[EMAIL PROTECTED]