On Apr 6, 2005, at 12:38 PM, Jeff Genender wrote:

This fascinates me...do people actually have to get permission to become a committer or member of the ASF?

Depends on your situation.

Many employers in the US have as part of the employment agreement terms that establish ownership of development work you do. The terms of this vary by company.

So we offer the CCLA as a vehicle in which the committer can get explicit permission from his/her employer, as a way of protecting that committer from their employer taking issue with it later. It's never good to just go on a "wink and a nod" from a manager, if that manager many not be around later...

geir

Enquiring minds want to know!

Jeff