Bruce Snyder wrote:
On 7/20/05, Jeremy Boynes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jeff Genender wrote:

Ok...fair enough...then how far out would M5 be (estimates)?  IMHO,
waiting for the time between M3->M4 cannot be between M4-> M5.  If it is
going to be that long, then +1000 to get it in now.  If its a fairly
short period, then waiting will not be a big deal.

Blevins was talking about release early, often. Adding this change in
can only delay M4 and as we are talking M5 in just a few weeks I would
say stick with the current branch and use this as an incentive to get M5
out soon.

I'd like to hear some opinions from community members who are not
committers. If you are reading this message and you are not a
committer, PLEASE SPEAK UP! We want to hear your opinion on this
matter.

Bruce

In our projects we use tomcat as the web container of choice, so we'd be delighted with the new tomcat/jetty picker in geronimo.

But, in the grand scheme of things I believe that getting a new milestone is more important right now, for various reasons (broken M3, TCK compliance, immense improvements all over). If M5 comes out in a month or so, then I guess everyone is going to be happy, even if the picker doesn't get in M4.

In fact I would consider this an interesting goal for the project: learn how to release often. I would expect a milestone to take about a week to be released, after branching (for QA, TCK testing etc.). So I'd say take four weeks after M4 to bring in new stuff and fix bugs and then spend another week in QA, before releasing. If this schedule proves rather tight, next time increase the intervals by 25% or so. Perhaps, even appoint a release engineer to tag, branch, make the golden build and say no to new patches :-)

As for poor old people like myself who would like a tomcat-integrated build rather sooner than later, perhaps we could beg Jeff to do an unsupported build with tomcat as default just once for M4?

Regards,

Panagiotis