Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

On Sep 9, 2005, at 2:39 AM, David Jencks wrote:

I think we've made significant progress in the last week towards being ready to make the branch for M5, but I think there may be reasons to wait a couple more days. There are 2 features that people want to get in (security improvements and DDL generation) that I would like to see in M5, and more stabilization is needed in any case before the release. I think that unless someone is waiting to get a new feature in that shouldn't go in M5 we should wait until monday and see where we are.

If anyone is contemplating a commit that may destabilize our code please speak up so we can branch beforehand.

Along with your list in the initial thread, we need to deal with the BouncyCastle situation, since we need to stop shipping this jar. The status quo is unacceptable because of the patent encumbrance of IDEA and therefore the liability that could be accidentally triggered. Rick has done some great work on hunting this down. (http:// issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-880) I think the fix is easy on our side - we can just change the keystore portlet to detect BC and do something different if not there (like show a page telling user where to get it if they want it, etc...) but right now, we need OpenEJB to remove the dependency. For OpenEJB, I think there are two aspects - the inclusion of IDEA in the SSLCipherSuite list (modules/ core/src/java/org/openejb/corba/sunorb/SSLCipherSuiteDatabase.java) and it's usage of the ASN1 codec. I don't know what they (OpenEJB) want to do there - it's been suggested that the necessary code can be copied (it's under a modified X.Net-ish license) or Directory could be enhanced and used. It seems the former is simpler.

Ideas?  (No pun intended...)

I've taken a look at both solutions for the openejb ASN1 usage. The ASN1 bouncy castle code is realatively selfcontained, and can be separated out an repackaged relatively quickly. I've already managed to build a version of the BC code that contains just the classes necessary to get the asn1 subdirectory to compile, and am working on a "pruned" version that removes support not likely to be required for openejb/geronimo. Once that is done, the changes to openejb are pretty trivial (mostly just changing package names). Right now, I'm planning on creating a util module in Geronimo for this to live.

The Directory stuff is a little trickier. The Directory ASN1 support doesn't include support for different types of objects that use ASN1 encodings (in this case X509 names). I took a crack at writing the equivalent, and found the Directory ASN1 support to be incomplete enough that you'd end up reimplementing a lot of the bc classes in the Directory. A "quick-and-dirty" approach just implementing X509 name parsing in the openejb Util module look doable, but was still a fairly tricky bit of code AND required some enhancements to the Directory ans1 support to implement. Right now, the bc subset version looks like the best route to take.

geir

thanks
david jencks