Joe Bohn wrote:
I agree with the notion that any "hot deploy" directory we deliver should be only for deploy/redeploy. However, I don't think that makes it necessary to remove the items once they were deployed. I agree with Geir that we should keep things there so that you can verify what is really active at any given time.

I have a somewhat different view on this (perhaps entirely wrong) but I'd like to toss it out there.

How about if we provide a "hot deploy" location that acts as an "addition/over-ride" location much the same as adding a library earlier in a path. I tend to think of this "hot deploy" activity as a developer activity and so I think most folks running a production server would follow the traditional deploy, undeploy, redeploy mechanics. Hot-deploy would most likely be used exclusively in development or to "patch" a critical problem with a temporary fix.

If this idea has any merit then I would propose the following:
- The hot deploy location would be used as a the initial place to look for any application or application element prior to looking in the config-store. Therefore, it could be used to over-ride items from a previously deployed application.

Yes....agreed.

- New applications added to the hot-deploy location would not be fully "deployed" in the sense of being added to the config-store. Rather, they would be deployed to a temporary location (possibly somewhere under the same hot-deploy location). That will keep the two deployment types and locations distinct.

IMHO this could get really ugly. I think we need a single location. If we have a hot-deploy directory, then it should be there to make is easy to auto deploy instead of running a script.

- Applications which only existed in the hot deploy location and were removed would be "undeployed" from the temporary location (but not from the config-store since a hot-deploy item is never included in the config-store). This would then result in the application being completely removed from the system if it was never fully deployed to the config-store or the original, deployed application would then once again become the "used" application.

This is where we run into problems. We now have 2 deploy areas with files that may or may not be representative of the same application. This is why I believe that if we do this...the jar/war/ear/rar (or what have you) will disappear - meaning Geronimo deployed it - or had its way with it. I am going to agree with David Jencks that this should be a very unstandard way of doing things due to the JSR issues. I think having 2 deployment areas will cause us a tremendous amount of problems in ensuring both areas represent the same area. This is why I am saying it should be for deploy/redploy only and "poof" it is gone. This should be a development-only tool, and I would like that if we do this, that its something that needs to be enabled and is not available in the default configuration.

- There would be no capability to really undeploy an application that has been deployed to the config-store ...only the ability to over-ride it or stop over-riding it.

Yes...this was my thinking.

Thoughts?

Joe

What does tomcat allow?