Sounds like a great idea.

OpenEJB, TranQL, ActiveMQ would be great to have as part of the community.

I noticed that Xbean was suggested. How is Xbean currently related to Geronimo? Is this the Spring based gbean.org project with a new name (www.gbean.org now takes me to the Codehaus main page)? If so, what are the pros and cons to moving to this?

Does OSGi compete with/overlap Xbean functionality? If so is it premature to consider Xbean before we have considered OSGi?

I did a search for xbean on the Geronimo dev mailing list and haven't found anything, except for references to XMLBeans. XMLBeans jars are named xbean-2.x.x AFAIK.

Thanks,

John

Dain Sundstrom wrote:
Why not consolidate the entire Geronimo community, or as much as possible, into the Geronimo project itself?

I bounced this idea off a few people and the feedback I got was very positive. This idea keeps popping up and before it gets to far along I want to bring it to the dev list.

One thing you should really think about is this requires a big commitment from the Geronimo community. There are a lot of projects, code and committers that we will need to integrate into our community. Most of the projects will have to go through incubation, which as you all know is not easy. On the positive side, we already work closely with these projects, and are very familiar with the communities and code.

As you can tell, I'm very excited about this. What do you think? Who would want to come?

-dain