I think this versioning has potential to be confusing, and the
omission of <version/> below doesn't actually do that - though it is
probably possible with a version of (,) that includes everything.

Personally, I'd prefer to have:
servlet-api-2.4
servlet-api-2.4-1
servlet-api-2.4-2
or similar.

(Technically, the last "build number" is used for rebuilding the same
source code, not patching, but I think the alternative of 2.4.x
creates some more confusion and the above will work as intended).
Ideally, once 2.4 is compliant you don't need to release it again
anyway :)

Perhaps when we have proper spec-dependency handling in Maven it might
be less confusing to use the geronimo-spec version number instead of
the spec number.

My 2cents...

- Brett