On Nov 22, 2005, at 3:16 PM, Aaron Mulder wrote:

I don't understand why people are using "repository" and
"config-store" interchangeably.

Right now the config-store used in geronimo happens to not relate the configId and the file location. I'm interested to see what happens if I implement a config-store that stores the configs in a (geronimo) repository. However, the geronimo classes certainly have different methods and functions.

My understanding of "repository" is that it's "where third-party
libraries are stored".  A URI into the repository works like maven by
convention because that's how we've chosen to lay out our repository.
But for our file system repository implementation, we could also just
put stuff in "any old place" under the repository root, and then the
URI's would have to look like not-Maven-style in order to work.

So, the URIs for our standard repository follow the maven convention, although other choices are possible. We could equally well insist that the configIds follow a maven convention, although other choices are possible. Also, to perhaps nitpick, "third-party" is perhaps not quite accurate, all of geronimo is there too :-).

My understanding of "config-store" is where all the code and config
info for a particular deployed server configuration is stored.  We
specifically avoid any knowledge of how things are laid out within the
config store by using abstract names to identify the entries there
(though in practice, our current implementation stores entries in
sequentially numbered directories).

Yes, and we could, if we chose to, by convention, use maven style configIds, put the configs in a maven repo structure. This is certainly not the only choice, but I believe it offers many advantages. One is that it provides some advice on how to construct a configId.

My understanding of "packaged configurations" is "you take whatever's
in config-store/22 and zip it" -- now you have a "packaged
configuration" or "CAR" and the repository was never involved.  If you
want to move that to a different server, you pass the ZIP/CAR to the
other server, it picks the next available config-store ID (say, 44)
and unzips the thing into config-store/44.  Again, no repository
involved.

To me you are confusing one way of constructing a packaged configuration with the concept itself. I think it's a jar file with a serialized gbean data for a Configuration gbean in a particular location inside. You are also dragging in many implementation artifacts of our current LocalConfigStore which are irrelevant to its purpose or interface-defined functioning. I think there are errors in the current interface that obscure its functioning and tie it unnecessarily to a file system implementation. Certainly the directory-numbering is pretty irrelevant to its functioning.

So my view of a configId is it's the abstract/human-readable name used
to interact with the thing that the config-store knows of as
"config-store/22" on server 1 and "config-store/44" on server 2.  If
we put a name or version or whatever in the configId that's OK, but it
doesn't correspond to anything on the file system, it's just part of
the chunk of text that identifies that entry in the config-store.  In
particular, tying the human names of entries in the config-store to
the layout of files in the repository seems unnatural to me.

I think it is all what conventions we want to support and encourage. I think maven style config ids have numerous advantages, most of which are the same advantages of using them for your projects jar files rather than the random names and missing versions so prevalent outside maven-influenced projects. In particular, more or less forcing people to include a version number in the configId can only be a good thing. So, we could implement un-maven-like repositories and config-stores, but why would we encourage such rampant disorganization?

I'm not sure I'm getting your point.... have you tried building geronimo with the packaging and assembly plugins and looking at how it works? I've been somewhat influenced by that, and I might not be seeing the same things you are.

thanks
david jencks

Help!

Thanks,