Hi paul,
I've created an issue in J2 Jira to address this and upload the code, please have a look at this:
http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/JS2-444.

Download the file geronimo-j2.zip , that is a Eclipse  project and read the read me file. Don't forget to replace the geronimo-application.xml with the new one geronimo-application.xml.20051219 , I've tested it with the Geronimo-20051219(J2-2.0 Final).

Known issue:
          request.isUserInRole() does not work.

If you got any problem, please post to here or J2 mail list, I read every post in Geronimo mail list and J2 mail list. Hope it help.

regards,

- Jian Liao