On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 03:58:55PM -0800, Dain Sundstrom wrote:
> Will the hot deployment directory satisfy you needs?

I tried to think of an approach using hot deployment that would work,
but none are as clean as offline deployment.  But I'm probably a
corner case: I use Geronimo embedded in a system with lots of other
software around it, running in a sealed box rather than a typical
PC-like environment.  I cross-develop; with offline deployment I can
distribute my application into Geronimo during the build process, then
move it to a target machine and run it on a read-only partition.  Of
course I have to move various logs, etc to /var but that's easily done
by tweaks to various plan.xml files.  I've also done some experiments
recently to allow Geronimo to have multiple config-stores so I can
have my core software in read-only storage and deploy other stuff to
/var.

Using hot deployment would be much more complex as I'd have to modify
the hot deployer to read from /var and deploy to a read-write config
store.  It also leaves a lot of processing to the target machines that
currently happens on development machines.  It's do-able but I like
that with offline distribute my code is in a read-only config store so
it can't be messed with.

I've got a workaround with online distribution but it's a clumsier
build process since I have to fire up the server, wait some arbitrary
time for the deployer to become available, distribute, and shut down
the server.  I can probably live with that but offline distribution is
much cleaner.

I recognize that my requirements aren't typical so I'm happy to (as
with multiple config stores) do some work to help make it happen.  I
just don't want to go off half-cocked and end up with something that's
a crime against the Geronimo architecture.  What do you think of the
approach that I mentioned in my previous email?  Am I barking up the
right tree?

Thanks,
Toby