After some thought about this, I will give it a +1.

We're seeing a lot of overlap lately between the WS-* folks and the J2EE folks. Like lots of projects lately, I don't think this code donation fits strictly into one category. And to say that it strictly belongs one place or another is a mistake.

I think the Sybase and ServiceMix people have made it clear that they are dedicated to working on this. I know the ws-* people are stretched with the many many specs to implement, so from a practical standpoint I think the ServiceMix location works. Lets closely monitor the community and see where it goes. At a future date we can readdress the location.

Regarding other developers and overlapping projects, I would just like to make it clear that we still definitely welcome other people and their involvement. Accepting this donation into ServiceMix does not preclude any involvement with others. If we need to package things different or provide different interfaces or whatever, its all up for discussion and patches

- Dan

James Strachan wrote:
We have received the generous donation of a complete and working BPE engine to the ServiceMix project... http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-servicemix-dev/200602.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

the contributor has offered to donate to Apache & complete the necessary software grants & IP clearance and to work with us on integrating it into ServiceMix.

For those of you maybe not aware; ServiceMIx is an ESB project defined around JBI (JSR 208) the JCP standard API to integration components along with being the standard container model for a BPE. ServiceMix already has the JBI container and has a suite of JBI integration components already for smart routing, transformation, rules, scripting, auditing etc...
http://incubator.apache.org/servicemix/Components

So it makes complete sense to add a BPE to that component suite. Note that since ServiceMix already has integration components to Apache Axis and Apache Tuscany, the integration of the BPE with ServiceMix should benefit those projects too (with Apache Synapse possibly too via the Axis integration - though we need to work on that one a bit).

Also having a BPE fully integrated into Geronimo via the JBI container would mean that we could start to orchestrate pretty much everything in the Geronimo stack! I'm certainly very excited by this move...

[ ] +1 accept the donation into the ServiceMix incubator project
[ ] 0  don't mind either way
[ ] -1 I object because: .......

Here's my +1

James