Regarding Kevan's comment on the config dependencies on j2ee_1.4_spec:

I had started to look at removing the dependencies in configs on geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec as a way to make the minimal assembly still smaller. Everybody has indicated that this should not be needed in the runtime. However, it's currently included pretty high up in the class-loader parentage (in rmi-naming) and apparently for good reason.

When I attempted to remove it I immediately hit problems building the config for j2ee-server. It's failing because it is missing the class def for javax.resource.ResourceException. I continue to hit this same error even if I add the dependency directly into the j2ee-server config or in the parent of all deployers (geronimo-gbean-deployer).

With similar errors I have been able to fix things by adding the appropriate dependency to either the configuration itself, or the deployer that is involved deploying that configuration depending on the error. This doesn't seem to be true of the spec implementation. I know the specs are special but I'm not exactly sure what's going on here. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Joe

Here's the stacktrace:
16:30:42,697 ERROR [Deployer] Deployment failed due to
java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/resource/ResourceException
        at java.lang.Class.privateGetDeclaredMethods(Class.java:1655)
        at java.lang.Class.privateGetPublicMethods(Class.java:1778)
        at java.lang.Class.getMethods(Class.java:832)
at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.GBeanInfoBuilder.addInterface(GBeanInfoBuilder.java:223) at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.GBeanInfoBuilder.addInterface(GBeanInfoBuilder.java:218) at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.GBeanInfoBuilder.addInterface(GBeanInfoBuilder.java:212) at org.apache.geronimo.connector.outbound.connectiontracking.ConnectionTrackingCoordinatorGBean.<clinit>(ConnectionTrackingCoordinatorGBean.java:35)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.GBeanInfo.getGBeanInfo(GBeanInfo.java:65) at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.service.ServiceConfigBuilder.addGBeanData(ServiceConfigBuilder.java:316) at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.service.ServiceConfigBuilder.addGBeans(ServiceConfigBuilder.java:311) at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.service.ServiceConfigBuilder.buildConfiguration(ServiceConfigBuilder.java:207) at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.service.ServiceConfigBuilder.buildConfiguration(ServiceConfigBuilder.java:167) at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.service.ServiceConfigBuilder$$FastClassByCGLIB$$9f173be6.invoke(<generated>)
at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.FastMethodInvoker.invoke(FastMethodInvoker.java:38) at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:118) at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:800) at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.RawInvoker.invoke(RawInvoker.java:57) at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.RawOperationInvoker.invoke(RawOperationInvoker.java:36) at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.ProxyMethodInterceptor.intercept(ProxyMethodInterceptor.java:96) at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.ConfigurationBuilder$$EnhancerByCGLIB$$2ea63e01.buildConfiguration(<generated>) at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:279) at org.apache.geronimo.deployment.Deployer$$FastClassByCGLIB$$734a235d.invoke(<generated>)
at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.FastMethodInvoker.invoke(FastMethodInvoker.java:38) at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanOperation.invoke(GBeanOperation.java:118) at org.apache.geronimo.gbean.runtime.GBeanInstance.invoke(GBeanInstance.java:835) at org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.invoke(BasicKernel.java:178) at org.apache.geronimo.plugin.packaging.PackageBuilder.invokeDeployer(PackageBuilder.java:389) at org.apache.geronimo.plugin.packaging.PackageBuilder.execute(PackageBuilder.java:294)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at org.apache.geronimo.plugin.packaging.PackageBuilderShell.execute(PackageBuilderShell.java:232)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.DynamicBeanTag.doTag(DynamicBeanTag.java:180) at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.StaticTagScript.run(StaticTagScript.java:102) at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.ScriptBlock.run(ScriptBlock.java:95) at org.apache.maven.jelly.tags.werkz.MavenGoalTag.runBodyTag(MavenGoalTag.java:78) at org.apache.maven.jelly.tags.werkz.MavenGoalTag$MavenGoalAction.performAction(MavenGoalTag.java:109)
        at org.apache.maven.werkz.Goal.fire(Goal.java:656)
        at org.apache.maven.werkz.Goal.attain(Goal.java:592)
        at org.apache.maven.werkz.Goal.attainPrecursors(Goal.java:505)
        at org.apache.maven.werkz.Goal.attain(Goal.java:590)
at org.apache.maven.werkz.WerkzProject.attainGoal(WerkzProject.java:210) at org.apache.maven.jelly.tags.werkz.MavenAttainGoalTag.doTag(MavenAttainGoalTag.java:114)
        at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.TagScript.run(TagScript.java:247)
at org.apache.commons.jelly.impl.ScriptBlock.run(ScriptBlock.java:95) at org.apache.maven.jelly.tags.werkz.MavenGoalTag.runBodyTag(MavenGoalTag.java:78) at org.apache.maven.jelly.tags.werkz.MavenGoalTag$MavenGoalAction.performAction(MavenGoalTag.java:109)
        at org.apache.maven.werkz.Goal.fire(Goal.java:656)
        at org.apache.maven.werkz.Goal.attain(Goal.java:592)
at org.apache.maven.plugin.PluginManager.attainGoals(PluginManager.java:693)
        at org.apache.maven.MavenSession.attainGoals(MavenSession.java:263)
        at org.apache.maven.cli.App.doMain(App.java:511)
        at org.apache.maven.cli.App.main(App.java:1258)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39) at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
        at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.run(Forehead.java:551)
        at com.werken.forehead.Forehead.main(Forehead.java:581)

Kevan Miller (JIRA) wrote:
[ http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-1639?page=comments#action_12367776 ]
Kevan Miller commented on GERONIMO-1639:

As mentioned in my previous note, the NPE's weren't fixed. The problem was the
uber-jar still contained the bad corba spec classes. This overrides any
children with dependencies on the corba jar which you just created.

I've worked around by adding your corba jar as a dependency in
specs/rmi-naming. I think the following need to occur:

1) the bad corba spec jars/classes should be removed from specs 1.1. Probably
best to create a specs/branches/1_1. That way 1.1 will be clean. You can start
using specs/trunk (1.2) for the new corba spec classes.
2) we should consider cleaning up the geronimo-j2ee_1.4_spec dependencies in our configs. I was surprised to find them there... I'd need a little feedback from others, before starting on that, however...

Setup old version of CORBA specs
--------------------------------

        Key: GERONIMO-1639
    Project: Geronimo
       Type: Bug
 Components: CORBA
   Versions: 1.0, 1.0.1, 1.1, 1.x
   Reporter: Alan Cabrera
   Assignee: Kevan Miller
    Fix For: 1.1, 1.x

Setup old version of CORBA specs for temporary use until the new CORBA specs
can pass the TCK.

--
Joe Bohn
joe.bohn at earthlink.net

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain what he cannot lose." -- Jim Elliot