+1

-dain

On Mar 1, 2006, at 2:49 AM, John Sisson wrote:

Gianny,

I think we should change the org.apache.geronimo.base.dir property to be org.apache.geronimo.home.dir so it is consistent in meaning with Tomcat's usage of the terms home and base to avoid confusion.

In Tomcat:

 home = the installation directory
base = the base directory used for resolving dynamic portions of the Tomcat installation (defaults to home if not set)

John

Gianny Damour wrote:
Hi,

This change adds the ability to start multiple server instances against the same bin, config-store, deploy, lib, repository and shema folders of a Geronimo installation.

An additional instance can be set-up by copying the var folder to the directory where you want to create a new instance. Then, from the new server directory, you can start the new instance like this:

java -Dorg.apache.geronimo.base.dir=<Geronimo installation directory> -Dorg.apache.geronimo.server.dir=<new server directory> -jar <Geronimo installation directory>/bin/server.jar

* org.apache.geronimo.base.dir is the full path of the directory where Geronimo has been installed, i.e. it is the directory containing the config-store and repository to be shared; and * org.apache.geronimo.server.dir is the full path of the directory where the new instance has been set-up. This is in this directory that the instance specific working files are created, i.e. the stuff in var. Note that the value of this property can be either an absolute or relative directory. If a relative directory is specified, then it is resolved based on the Geronimo installation directory.

If you are happy to start a new instance under the same Geronimo installation directory, then you can create a new nested folder and copy var into it. Then, from the Geronimo installation directory, you can start this new instance like this:

java -Dorg.apache.geronimo.server.name=<nested folder name> -jar bin/server.jar

* org.apache.geronimo.server.name is the name of the nested folder. This has a similar effect than starting with org.apache.geronimo.server.dir set to the relative path of the nested folder.

Thanks,
Gianny

Dave Colasurdo wrote:

Can you please elaborate a bit more on what exactly this provides?

Can I now have two separate instances each with their own unique applications/configurations/logs (i.e. config-store, deploy and var directories) sharing the same geronimo installation binaries (i.e. bin, lib and repository directories)?

If so, how do we create the additional instances? I assume the binary distribution creates the the first instance during the build and that users need to create the additional instances manually for now..

Thanks
-Dave-

Gianny Damour wrote:

Hi,

The second solution has been implemented.

When starting G, it is now possible to specify one of these two system properties: * org.apache.geronimo.server.name: name of the server to be started. If "server1" is specified, then G will use the directory <geronimo installation dir>/server1; or * org.apache.geronimo.server.dir: directory of the server to be started. This can be either a relative or an absolute path. For instance, if "./server1" is specified, then G will use the directory <geronimo installation dir>/server1.

I still need to provide a patch for an AMQ GBean, JournalPersistenceAdapterGBean, in order to resolve its directory attribute based on the server directory - will do that during the day.

Thanks,
Gianny