Seems there are two cases:

1)       Ideally we want to provide a complete set of deployment plan editors so that users can start building plans from the editor.   Like Sachin pointed out, this is not complete yet and users will have to use the text editor to make changes/add additions for now.

2)       Even when the complete set of deployment plan editor is available, certain users may still want to use the text editor if they don’t like the GUI or prefer text editor.

For these users, they will not care if the plan will pass the XML checking done by EMF since they choose to editor it using the text editor.  They just want to run their applications within the eclipse environment, same as using the admin console or command line deployer.   Thus, if users use non-qualified plans (quite likely when they use the text editor), I’d like to see the eclipse plugin handle it, same as the web console deployer or command line deployer.    I spent some time going through the plugin debugger, here’s roughly what happens when I remotely deployed the MDB war file using the plugin:

n      publishModule()

n      doDeploy()

n       ExecuteDistribute includes load file to server, distribute the module id MDBDemoWebApp

n       Start module.   Failed here at trying to getConfigID of the targetModule (which is MDBDemoWebApp in my case).  The code was trying to get the ConfigID from the web deployment plan however the resource was failed to load due to the fact that the ejb-ref tag within the deployment plan not recognized as valid by EMF.   On my server, I verified that the MDBDemoWebApp distributed, but not started.

Is there a reason that we do this in two steps (distribute + stop)?  Seems to me that we could consolidate distribute + start into one step deploy and save us the need to get ConfigId of the module.  (I don’t see how users perform distribute applications in eclipse.) If we have to deploy an application in two steps and we need to find the configId of the module to start, maybe we could find a better way to parse the ConfigId value of the Geronimo deployment plans?

Thanks,

Lin