John Sisson wrote:
Alex,

Cross posting to [EMAIL PROTECTED] since Geronimo has been mentioned a few times in this thread.

AFAIK the statement below that Geronimo's latest development branch will use JDK 1.5 does not reflect past discussions on the [EMAIL PROTECTED] thread http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.java.geronimo.devel/22157 . Where JEE 5 support will be developed is yet to be decided.

Can you confirm that you are proposing that both Apache DS 1.0, 1.1 & 1.2 will be embeddable in Geronimo on JDK 1.4.2 .
Hiya John,

Yes you are right. Both stable (GA) releases of ApacheDS, 1.0 and 1.2, will be JDK 1.4 compatible. A jump to JDK 5 is probably a year out. In any case, we will make sure we provide 1.4 JDK compatibility with a living GA branch for Geronimo and JetSpeed. A JDK 5 minimum requirement would appear with a 2.0 release of ApacheDS. Apache 2.0 will not necessarily kill the latest 1.x branch.

Note that 1.0 is not even released yet. So in other words, I would not worry too much :). We still have much work to do. However I did make a mistake thinking Geronimo's JEE 5 support was going to be J2SE 5.0 based. My bad.

Please excuse the confusion,
Alex

Thanks,

John

Alex Karasulu wrote:
I was going to write a long email about this but let me condense it.
(1) JDK 1.4 and up is supported for all user types (including embedding users) in 1.0 branch and this will never change. This branch is alive and well and will be maintained with bug fixes. There already are features in this branch that are 1.5 specific and you can get those by adding some extra "components" but must run them on JDK 1.5 (SSL is the only JDK 1.5 requirement at this point).

(2) The 1.1 branch is an experimental/feature addition branch. Even Geronimo will not look back and will use JDK 1.5 for there latest development branch. Does this mean we have to? Not necessarily. This branch will most likely add compliance with OpenGroup. It will also introduce enhancements for performance in the database, DN handling and in the asn1 subsystems. This branch will release often hopefully but that does not mean users should use it. The real culmination of this branch will be the stable release of 1.2. This will take 4-6 months at a minimum. In that time more users will be on JDK 1.5 but we will still have most users on 1.4.

(3) A clean break is always better than a half assed job period. However we need to get our timing straight. That's all this JDK discussion is really about. So we have to pick just when we make this jump.

So now here's my opinion:

(a) MINA sticks to 1.4 support without messing with byte code and experiments with retroweaver. She should release a 1.0 and have a solid stable API for 1.4 and 1.5 support. At this point I'd like to see mina graduate incubation and start a new branch 1.1 which focuses on JDK1.5 with mina 1.0 as 1.4 fall back. This can occur in about 4-6 months IMHO.

(b) ApacheDS sticks to 1.4 support in the 1.1 and 1.2 branches. For 1.5 needs it juggles new components and leverages OSGi to help manage this. SASL, SSL, Crypto libs and other features that may need 1.5 can load 1.5 specific bundles to do this. This sucks and is going to be a pita for us the developers but we can do it and we have OSGi to help. At this point 1.0 dies and 1.2 becomes the main supported branch. (c) Once MINA graduates and starts work on a pure JDK 1.5+ branch we can start a new experimental branch for ApacheDS, branch 1.5 skipping 1.3 altogether. Here we redesign the server to use all 1.5 features. The design/architecture and readability, maintainability greatly improves. We then bump up the GA release branch to 2.0. This is a year out in the making. Plus it will coincide with mina 1.1 or whatever we choose it to be designated as for jdk 1.5 support. At this point we can decide to kill 1.2 or to keep on supporting bug fixes in it for 6 more months (recommended) until SUN puts an EOL on jdk 1.4.

Summary
=======

(1) Users are happy, embedding and standalone users
(2) Developers deal with the burden but use OSGi to alleviate the pain
(3) We have a clean manageable break which will make life bearable
(4) MINA progresses forward with 1.0 and 1.1 jdk 5 support with a nice clean break and gets a new home as it should (5) ApacheDS 1.2 will pretty much have the same functionality as 2.0 so there will be little complains. The server will just be redesigned to make it easier for developers. There is only so much you can do with LDAP, DNS and Kerberos.

DHCP is another story but we can talk later about this one.

Heh we can deal later with these headaches 1.6 will bring a year from now.

Cheers,
Alex

P.S. Can we agree on this and forge ahead please?