Dain Sundstrom wrote:
On Mar 13, 2006, at 8:16 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:

Alan,

Others are commenting on the infrastructure issues still on the plate for
ActiveMQ.  And, yes, migrating out of JIRA is a PITA.  Jeff is proposing
that we end up running lots of JIRA instances because we have to pull in
several sets of JIRA imports from atlassian, codehaus, and elsewhere.  I
have no idea when Atlassian will support single project imports from JIRA as
it does from Bugzilla.

I agree it is important to have as much as possible on apache hardware. It was my understanding until I read this thread here, that infrastructure was fine with leaving JIRAs for imported projects hosted remotely until the JIRA had a better import tool. With the new possibility that Jeff Turner laid for an import, I think we should work on having one big import for everything that is moving or has moved from codehaus. This would let us grab the ActiveMQ, ServiceMix, OpenEJB, and XBean jiras.

Is ActiveMQ and ServiceMix's JIRAs running at codehaus, it doesn't appear to be (tracert showed a different network path compared with codehaus)?

As with the other issues here, this is a NEW possibility that I for one wasn't even aware existed until John brought it up. I don't think we should hold this against the AMQ community.

I don't like holding up progress, but my concern is how much incentive the project would have to move JIRA after incubation and whether it would be better to do it now? Also no date has been given by Atlassian for when JIRA will have a better import tool - we could be waiting a while. The "Has the project migrated to our infrastructure?" item on the status page seems misleading/pointless if a number of the project's services are running on external systems.

Glad to see Hiram has started a thread on Infrastructure to discuss the migration.

John
On the community side, we're still a bit shy of Mentors on ActiveMQ (James is the only one, and we are looking for at least 3 per project), and the ASF community building is only just getting started. No PPMC, yet, for which we
need more Mentors.

There has been some concern about growth rate within the Incubator.
Requiring 3+ Mentors to help oversee projects puts a natural, but scalable, limit on our growth. In the meantime, we have some growing pains, because
projects are already here, and lack the resources.

I understand this concern and agree with the solution, but we should remember that AMQ entered the incubator before this was a rule, so I for one didn't think it appled to them, since they are so close to graduation. Anyway, I think we can easily get a few more people to be mentors. I certainly will volunteer, but I don't think I qualify due to the member restriction.

-dain