Hi,  I think this is an important item and appreciate you taking the
initiative on it.  If you're interested in breaking this up into
subtasks then I'm willing to help out.  Unfortunately I don't know a
second language well enough to help with translation but I can help
code :-)

As for the specifics, I think it would make sense to use a similar
approach that Apache Jetspeed2 uses for its admin console.  You can
inspect the src here:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/portals/jetspeed-2/trunk/applications/j2-admin/

Specfically:
-  use org.apache.geronimo.console.xyz.resources for package names
-  use <PortletName>Resources.properties for the file names
-  use <PortletName>.[label | msg | error].key for the resource names
   (this seems to be a mixed bag, though)

Also instead of the standalone i18n library I think it would be more
strategic to use the JCP standardized tag library v1.1 (which I
believe it supercedes).

What do you think?

Best wishes,
Paul