I think it really depends on how much memory you have, many of the specjbb/specjappserver results are run on 32bit machines with 4GB ram setting -Xmx2048m -Xms2048m is fine. As Matt points out there is more than one out of memory condition. From memory I think 1.4.2 server had a max permsize of 64mb so that is one candidate -XX:MaxPermSize=128m

If you are using 1.4.2 hotspot you can also use the free visualgc tool. It will automatically detect a running jvm and show what the gc is doing
http://java.sun.com/performance/jvmstat/

regards
calvin

Rajiv M wrote: