Thanks Dain.

As Aaron just pointed in its previous mail, the component may have its own JNDI context, but Service Units may need some too. And the problem is that a service unit may not contain any code, just some data: the components will handle the data and perform the necessary tasks. So the use of JNDI references can only work for components, not for service units.

I really think that a global JNDI context would be the most appropriate thing, though the problem is to determine which resources will be in it i guess. I had in mind to create a context and binding resources dynamically with a gbean query by querying JCAManagedConnectionFactory with J2EEApplication=null. I have looked at the code for geronimo-naming and related context creation upon deployment, and I do not really see how resources can be bind in a JNDI context without knowing their main interface. This information is provided when referencing such a resource from a web-app deployment descriptor, but in my case, I do not have such information. If you have any hints on that it would be cool ...

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet

Dain Sundstrom wrote:

It appears that the JBI spec didn't provide any way to normalize the JNDI environment between different app servers (JBI 1.0 page 241):

getNamingContext()
  public javax.naming.InitialContext getNamingContext()
Get the JNDI naming context for this component. This context is a standard JNDI InitialContext but its content will vary based based on the environment in which the JBI implementation is running.
  Returns: the JNDI naming context; must be non-null.

Rather than try to shoehorn ServiceMix into a Geronimo paradigm, Guillaume how do you want this to work in Geronimo?

Based on the number of requests for a global JNDI, I think we need to finally implement it regardless of how distasteful some may find it. Of course, I'd schedule it for Geronimo 1.2 :)

-dain