David,
Thanks to Bjorn, i've update the docs as well in the AXIS_1_4_FINAL
branch. AFAICT, you need to run dist and srcdist targets to generate
the zips, then sign the release and upload them to
/www/www.apache.org/dist/ws/axis/1_4. You will need to add your key to
the KEYS [1] file as well. Please upload the new jars to the maven
repo as well [2].

Glen,
Please chime in if i missed something.

thanks,