I added a new optional class loader to 1.1 which should fix our file lock problem on Windows. To enable the class loader use the following command line option:

        -DXorg.apache.geronimo.NewClassLoader=true

If the class loader actually solves the problem, and passes the TCK we can make it the default.

If you are a Windows user, please try it out and report any remaining file lock problems.

If you have some free time please take a look at the code. This type of code needs lots of eyes on it. The code is located at branches/ 1.1/modules/kernel/src/java/org/apache/geronimo/kernel/classloader. I suggest you start with JarFileClassLoader, but the real file management code is in JarFileResourceFinder.

-dain