Cool. :-)

--jason

-----Original Message-----
From: "J. Stan Cox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 14:14:22
To:dev@geronimo.apache.org
Subject: DayTrader:  Dynamic Ajax-based Web frontend --- update

Hey,

I just wanted to send a quick follow up on previous note I sent out
about adding a dynamic "Web 2.0" interface to DayTrader.  Progress has
been slow due to other emergencies, but I should have some demo-able
code to offer within a couple of weeks.

The "stock trading" theme of DayTrader is perfect for a rich,
asynchronous, AJAX based front end. The idea got good support before and
I think this will add alot to Geronimo as a sample application.

I'm specifically interested in doing some performance analysis to
compare the overhead of "Web 2.0" over standard request/response style.

The original note with the basic design is below.  Again, I hope to have
some code soon.....

Stan.
J. Stan Cox
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Original note:
--------------
Geronimos,

I'm one of the original developers of the benchmark "Trade" that has
been donated to Geronimo and is now known as "DayTrader".  It's amazing
what this benchmark has been able to achieve over the last few years and
we are very much looking forward to seeing it grow and flourish in the
Open Source Geronimo environment.  We think it can become a real
showcase for Geronimo's performance and capabilities.

We are interested in adding a rich, AJAX based Web interface for the
DayTrader stock trading services.  DayTrader is a perfect type of
application to leverage AJAX capablities.  We plan to collapse all of
the current web pages into a single rich page with dynamic and
asynchronous updates of stock prices, user holdings, buys/sells, etc.

We would leverage the DoJo AJAX toolkit which is being pulled into
Apache MyFaces.  So, the basic architecture would look like:

browser<--- REST--->  DayTrader---SOAP---> DayTrader--- Java---> DayTrader
(dojo libs,                     proxy servlet               Web
services             J2EE App
javascript)                   soap/rest transform

Stan.
J. Stan Cox
[EMAIL PROTECTED]