Jacek Laskowski wrote:
On 7/2/06, Alan D. Cabrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Please read Ken's original email:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/geronimo-dev/200605.mbox/[EMAIL PROTECTED]

As far as not considering commiters votes binding, this has never been
the way Geronimo was run.  If things have changed and the PMC has
decided that this is the new way to go, ok.  But let there be no
confusion as to the way things used to work.

What about this:
http://www.mail-archive.com/dev%40geronimo.apache.org/msg24899.html?

A comment in the middle of a long and arduous thread. Not quite an official notice that Ken and/or the PMC have changed their mind from what was stated during the official announcement of the change to RTC sent out the previous month.

As far as binding votes go it's never been such a distinction between
people heavily involved in Geronimo development and PMCers. We were
pretty close to PMCers == committers and I don't remember a situation
where -1 was issued. There were enough +1's from PMCers. Therefore,
*I* would say it's almost impossible to compare what's happening now
with what was in the past. The situation is new and uncomparable to
anything as far as I understand it (and thus there're so many
misunderstandings and discussion about what RTC really means).

So are you saying that it was your understanding that, all along during the history of Geronimo, commiters votes never mattered? I honestly don't recall us making that distinction, ever.

IMHO, there is no misunderstanding to what RTC means now; it means 3 +1 PMC votes. There is confusion not because we had been operating along the lines of PMC votes only count for matters of code and now the committee make up has changed. There is confusion because Ken's official announcement said 3 +1 committer votes.

Please confirm that this is the new way that the PMC has decided to run
things.

It's never changed - only PMC votes are binding as outlined in
http://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html, but I myself consider
any vote binding as far as changes are concerned. A release is a legal
stuff so it requires a special attention from ASF itself and thus the
requirement about PMCers and their binding votes.

Jacek, I understand what the HTML page says. I am not arguing against what it says nor am I arguing against the value of such a position. I am one of the founding members of Geronimo and I don't recall that we ever made a distinction between commiters and PMC members when it came to what gets checked into the code base.

If you guys want to change the way we've been previously working, more specifically in regards to RTC, then fine. Let's do it. But don't pretend that we all have been operating that way all along because we have not.

Regards,
Alan