Matt Hogstrom wrote:
I am referring to the modules. What I meant was if we have 25 modules and everyone has its own license and notices file I'm pretty confident they'll get out of sync. It would be nice to have a central place to pull the content from which should be modules/scripts/resources/*

What I meant by the notices being an issue is that a single notices file identifies what additional licenses are in a module. So, it may or may not make sense for the Kernel module to have a Bouncycastle NOTICE.

It looks like the majority of licenses use terminology similar to "Redistribution and use in source and binary forms..". In terms of redistribution, we don't redistribute third-party libraries (we only redistribute them in assemblies) as part of module jars, but they may use a third-party library directly or indirectly via transitive dependencies. I'm not sure if the "use" terminology in the licenses applies to indirect use, but it might be safer to err on the side of caution and include all licenses that may be in use both directly in the module and indirectly.

If its ok to havbe a complete NOTICES file that includes licenses that are not in a module then that would be fine. It would be nice to say, "Geronimo-Kernel may include one or more of the following elements." If we have to be precise on a module by module basis then I think that will be a problem.
This sounds like an opportunity for maven to solve in the future (e.g. collating license information) but I don't think it has been thought out enough yet.. http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAR-10?rc=1

Agree it would be a problem if for each module we had to work out what licenses were used via transitive dependencies. If it is only the licenses for direct dependencies that we need to include then that could be manageable. We would need a process in place so that if anyone modifies the dependencies of a module they need to review the licensing implications (e.g. does the new version of the dependency have a new license) and make the appropriate changes to the module's LICENSE.txt and NOTICE.txt files.

John