On 7/20/06, Prasad Kashyap <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

We were finding it difficult to manage the subtasks with all of them
being in the "open" state even when their patches had been applied.

Did they? Where? How can the end users find the information? I don't
think it's that clear for newcomers, especially.

How is this different than all the other subtasks under 2071 that have
gone into m2migration branch and thus has been marked resolved ?
Example: http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-2201

I'd say it's yet another example of us managing jira issues in an
uncontrolled way. Say, we don't apply the patches to the trunk before
1.2 is released. Will you remember to correct it in jira? It will go
to the release notes of 1.2, but won't be there. I don't think we want
it, do we?

It has been discussed on the devlist that m2 migration work would be
in the m2migration branch. So end-users would know where to expect it
and hopefully wouldn't/shouldn't go looking for it in the trunk.

There're tons of emails every day and you expect people will follow
it? Ok, you might be right - they could follow the mailing list which
requires artifical skills, imho ;-) So, what's your opinion about
jira? Should it complement what we're doing or it introduces a burden
in our development process?

I'd like to learn something new everyday. So I don't mind being
corrected and advised on how we can better manage this. Any other
suggestions ?

Sure, me too. Think about us and how much we need to remember as it's
not written anywhere. If we start losing control on what we're doing,
we'll lose users' patience and they'll fly away. I think misleading
information (like creating a report of what's been fixed between 1.1
and today) are worse than lack of any.

Of course, I may be mistaken, but regardless of where we'll end up
eventually I appreciate your reasoning and patience with bearing with
me :-)

Jacek

--
Jacek Laskowski