It is not just how we use the m2-style repo inside of G, but also how we build G using m2 that will cause problems for windows peeps.

The later is going to be more trouble to resolve I think.

I'm still thinking it would be a good idea to have some sort of file- system abstraction for our m2-style repo... in the same way that SVN has an abstraction... that could use BDB or a regular file system (ie. FSFS) for actual storage. WIth something like this, we could have the default distro use a BDB-ish filesystem and completely resolve the windows file name limitations. With a set of cli tools we can easily allow the BDB-ish to be converted to a FSFS.

Short of hacking up G to work around the problem... I don't see any other clean way to resolve this problem for our windows users.

--jason