The EJB and Direct modes in Daytrader provide a good measure of how a pure EJB (Session/CMP Entity) application stacks up against a pure JDBC based app. However, one of the things I have felt Trade/Daytrader has always lacked is a middle ground. In my experience, I have neither seen nor heard of a large number of customers out there in the market using the full EJB programming model (Session and Entity beans). I think a more common customer usage scenario is the stateless session bean to JDBC model where the direct JDBC calls are wrapped/managed by the SSB.

I have already taken a quick stab at an implementation since all it really requires is a merging of the TradeDirect and TradeBean code. I have most of the operations working on a single client, but haven't performed any load testing yet.

Anyway, I wanted to submit the idea to group and see if there were any comments.