All existing components can already be deployed in a
servicemix.xmlconfiguration file.
See for example
http://servicemix.goopen.org/site/servicemix-eip.html#servicemix-eip-UsingservicemixeipinaServiceMixxmlconfigurationfile

The syntax is exactly the same (thanks to XBean).
So I don' t see any problems with the way it currently works,
but any opinion is welcome.

You are right that there is no support for installing components and
deploying
SUs from the servicemix.xml configuration file, but I think that the current
way
is easier to deal with.

Cheers,
Guillaume Nodet