I read the link, reread the thread & I misunderstood the prefetch feature ...
the broker is pushing messages into the clientside pre-fetch buffers upto
the limit.

Here are some ideas, let me know what you think ...

1. can we use an 'elastic prefetch' buffer based on a sliding window (like
in TCP)  - this reacts to client (mis)behavior

2. When the broker detects a misbehaving client, reclaim the unAcked
messages for other active consumers (and make the window size 0 or 1 in step
1 above)

Thanks
Regards
- Sridhar Komandur