Earlier this week, David convinced me to help him get the JPA entity manager factories mapped into JNDI. And, that was the easy part, he also wanted it to work in G 1.1. Today, I finally got it working and wrote up some very rudimentary instruction on how to manually install it (need to figure out how to automate this) here:

 http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxSBOX/Global+JNDI+Plugin

Anyway, while writing this code I ended up writing a thread safe context which althought it isn't publicly modifiable can internally modify itself. I also wrote a subclass of this that watches the kernel for Contexts and adds them to the global name space. It occurred to me that with this code plus the code Krishnakumar & Manu wrote in GERONIMO-2153 we may be able to have a complete global jndi plugin that can run in G 1.1.

I'm going to try this over the next few days and let you'll if it works out.

-dain