I think I've implemented most or all of the transaction manager based support for jta 1.1 and container managed jpa/entity managers. As I mentioned earlier I've introduced the support into the jta 1.0.1/jdk 1.4 tm without using the new interfaces and provided a new module geronimo-transaction-jta11 that implements the new interfaces.

To avoid further churn I'd like to commit the changes in trunk to the base tm. As noted in GERONIMO-2349 there might be an ordering bug with TransactionManagerMonitors, so I might provide one more updated patch.

To me the main question here is whether it is appropriate to implement this support in the base classes. It would also be possible to implement it in subclasses if we constructed the TransactionImpl instances in a protected method overridden in the new tm subclass. At the moment I'm not inclined to add this extra complexity but will if there's general agreement it's a good idea.

I plan to start looking into hooking this stuff up to deployers next.... maybe we can eventually find out if it really works.

thanks