Just like we have a "Apache Geronimo Development Tools Subproject" why
can't we have a "Apache Geronimo Plugins Subproject"? and grant folks
working on plugins karma there if karma is the issue.

My 2 cents...Forking community is not good. We should try to encourage
people to work here especially new folks. If i had not gotten the red
carpet from cocoon folks back in 2001, i'd never have made it as a
Apache committer. If they had told me to open a new sf.net project
with my addons that would have been the end of the road for me. I am
greatly indebted to folks like Stefano who gave me a jump start.

-- dims

On 9/1/06, David Blevins <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On Sep 1, 2006, at 8:27 AM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:

> Re: developers developing plugins - you're certainly right, we're not
> developing one monolithic codebase with all the features one could
> dream of. It's impossible and I understand why people could develop
> their plugins outside. They simply don't have necessary karma to do it
> here. That's a very important matter I've not thought of before.
>
> What I was not happy with was you as a Geronimo committer who's been
> doing plugin development outside. Now, when I think about it a bit
> more I think I get the gist of it - you couldn't work with your
> buddies, actually, they couldn't work as easily as they can do outside
> - the rest of the jpa plugin team don't have the karma to do it here.
> Got it and have to think about it a little to let my mind settle.

A major part of my moral compass on situations like this is, "what
signal
does this send to the aspiring <ProjectName> developers out there?"

Imagine a hundred developers excited about the idea of developing
plugins
for Geronimo.  How do my actions and attitudes in this situation affect
them and their excitement and what does it tell them about how they
might
be perceived by me?  Am I ultimately bringing them closer or scaring
them
away?

The answers are of course harder.

-David