There is a lot of text here and I'm a bit confused. FWIU, to use the trick we used in bootstrap you need the following:

1) add your endorsed jars to the manifest class path
2) no code accessed during the boot process can reference an endorsed package
3) modify the endorsed system property
4) use reflection to load a class that accesses the endorsed class (this may have to happen in a child class loader)

I have high confidence in this process due to the tck passing. Additionally, I received a customer complaint that we were overriding the xml processor on Java5 with the older spec version included with Geronimo. Now it may turn out that this magic only works with the xml specs, but I'd be very surprised.

-dain