Dain,
which class or interface has triggered the problem?
Only
org.w3c.dom
org.xml.sax
org.xml.sax.ext
org.xml.sax.helpers
are part of the endorsed library mechanism.
Subpackages of org.w3c.dom are optional.

Other classes are part of regular class loading.

On 9/28/06, Dain Sundstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Sep 28, 2006, at 12:02 PM, Rick McGuire wrote:

> Dain Sundstrom wrote:
>> On Sep 28, 2006, at 11:19 AM, Heinz Drews wrote:
>>
>>> There was sometime ago a discussion thread about the requirement to
>>> have the jars in endorsed dirs also on the classpath.
>>>
>>> If endorsed would have been picked up then this would not be
>>> necessary.
>>>
>>> It is still possible to get xerces as the parser because of
>>> including
>>> it on the classpath.
>>> It would not be the default using the factories.
>>
>> Yep.  In Geronimo, we use the default factories.  Additionally,
>> the J2EE spec requires that the default factories return a newer
>> parser version then is included in a 1.4 vm, so you should have a
>> fairly high confidence there are tests to for it in the TCK.
>
> The problem here is not the resolving of the class factory, but
> rather the resolution of the org.w3c.dom classes.  Those are the
> ones that are a potential trouble spot.  If the JVM native versions
> are not compatible with the Xerces ones, this can manifest as a
> NoMethodFoundException.  But only if you happen to hit code that
> attempts to call one of the missing classes.  This is something of
> a ticking time bomb.
> I had a similar situation with Yoko.  I had no problems loading the
> Yoko ORB classes.  The yoko-core jar file doesn't even need to be
> in the endorsed dir to work.  However, there was a issue with one
> of the org.omg classes.  The Sun version wasn't compatible with the
> CORBA spec, so if you tried to run the Yoko code using the native
> org.omg classes, you got a NoMethodFoundException.  Once I
> successfully got the JVM to process this jar as part of the
> endorsed dirs, I was able to override the native classes and the
> Yoko ORB started working.

This is weird.  I tried to write some demo code to show that you can
override after the vm started and failed :(  What is particular
strange is we had a customer problem exactly as you describe above
except backwards.  The customer was using java5 and when they loaded
a dom they were getting an old version of the dom apis included with
Geronimo.  We fixed this problem by deleting the xerces jars from the
endorsed dir.

Anyway, this sucks, since it requires users to use a shell script to
launch Geronimo.  Is there anyway to detect the corba api version and
not load the Yoko classes that have the problems?

-dain