We could publish the catalog to the m2 repo too, just need to had some custom build fluff to attach the xml file as a build artifact.

--jason

On Sep 28, 2006, at 8:46 PM, Paul McMahan wrote:

Like Aaron said, plugin repositories already use a maven repository
layout with the exception of one file -- geronimo-plugins.xml.  That
file is basically a catalog for all the plugins hosted in a
repository.   I discovered something very interesting tonight, which
is that the catalog does not actually have to reside in the plugin
repository.  It can be hosted anywhere as long as its
default-repository element points at a valid repository location.

To me this is great news because it means that we can host a catalog
for ASF plugins wherever we like and use existing maven repositories
without introducing any new files or requiring any changes to them.
From maven's point of view, this makes installing a plugin look like
importing a car into a geronimo assembly.

I prototyped this idea by creating a plugin catalog at :
http://geronimoplugincentral.org/repository/geronimo-1.1.1/ geronimo-plugins.xml
that uses the default-repository element to point at the plugins
already published at :
   http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/
When I loaded that catalog into the plugins portlet I was able to
install the sample plugins just like when I use the default catalog.
You can recreate these results by adding
http://geronimoplugincentral.org/repository/geronimo-1.1.1/ to the
plugin repositories in your 1.1.1 console.

The net of all this is that I would like to take this idea to the next
level by creating catalogs for the ASF plugins at the location Jacek
has suggested :
   http://geronimo.apache.org/plugins/
and point at the plugins already hosted in the maven repos.  I don't
foresee this requiring any changes to maven, but are there any
concerns with this approach?  Feedback and/or assistance from one of
our maven experts would be especially helpful.

Also, I would like to know if there are any plans to publish snapshot
builds.  Seems like I remember that being discussed recently.  Having
this in place alongside the idea described above would greatly
increase our ability to develop and test ASF plugins between release
boundaries.

Best wishes,
Paul