I put a post in the user forum for this, but thought I'd add something to
this thread.  I'm concerned about backward compatibility.  I've got a test
environment with all brokers at 4.0.1, except one I'm upgrading to 4.1.
This would be how our production environment would be upgraded - a machine
or so at a time.

However, the 4.0.1 brokers will not connect to the 4.1 broker, giving the
following exception:

Exception in thread "ActiveMQ Transport: tcp:///170.137.15.160:34695"
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Invalid version: 2, could not l
oad org.apache.activemq.openwire.v2.MarshallerFactory
        at
org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.setVersion(OpenWireFormat.java:329)
        at
org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.renegociatWireFormat(OpenWireFormat.java:569)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.WireFormatNegotiator.onCommand(WireFormatNegotiator.java:100)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.InactivityMonitor.onCommand(InactivityMonitor.java:122)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.TransportSupport.doConsume(TransportSupport.java:87)
        at
org.apache.activemq.transport.tcp.TcpTransport.run(TcpTransport.java:143)
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)
org.apache.activemq.openwire.v2.MarshallerFactory
        at
org.apache.activemq.util.ClassLoading.loadClass(ClassLoading.java:104)
        at
org.apache.activemq.openwire.OpenWireFormat.setVersion(OpenWireFormat.java:327)
        ... 6 more

There must be an upgrade path for 4.1.  If that means I have to go to 4.0.2
(which I did not try yet), that is OK.  But, I can't possibly tell my
management that I have to upgrade the AMQ version on all 50 or so machines
we have in production.