David Jencks wrote:

On Dec 11, 2006, at 9:18 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:

David,

I wanted to get something committed that works for now. With trunk rev. 485719 I included jstl as a dependency in modules/geronimo- web-2.5-builder as well as in configs/jetty6 and configs/tomcat6 so that it would always be in the classpath for an application. I can change this if there is a better way.

oops getting behind on my email....

in the jetty6-deployer plan in the JettyWebBuilder gbean config there's a defaultEnvironment xml attribute. If you add the jstl dependency to

                <dependencies>
                    <dependency>
                        <groupId>${pom.groupId}</groupId>
                        <artifactId>jetty6</artifactId>
                        <type>car</type>
                    </dependency>
                </dependencies>

I think it will be added to every web app deployed to jetty6. However this will result in each web app getting its own copy of jstl. If it would be better to share a copy of jstl among all web apps we could either - include it in the jetty6 config classpath (IIUC this is what you are currently doing). However jetty doesn't need it so this may not be ideal in some theoretical sense.

Yes, this is what I currently have. And I agree that it would be more correct to have the dependency from the applications rather than from the containers.

- make a jstl config including only (??) the jstl jar and include a dependency on that config - if jstl can only be used from jsps (??? displaying my total ignorance here :-)) maybe we could make a jasper config and include jstl there and put the jasper stuff in the defaultEnvironment.

I think this last option is the most correct and I'll look into this for the 2.0-M2 delivery.

Hope this clarifies what I was explaining poorly :-)
Very clear now ... thanks!!
Joe