I actually pinged the pluto dev list yesterday:

http://www.nabble.com/Pluto-1.0.x-to-1.1-upgrade-guide-%28Apache- Geronimo-Console%29-tf3337657.html

If someone who knows more about the details could chime in (Paul? Aaron?) it might help.

--jason

On Mar 3, 2007, at 9:04 AM, Paul McMahan wrote:

I agree with Aaron that Pluto 1.1 would provide a much better baseline
for making the admin console more pluggable.  Jetspeed and Liferay are
excellent portals as well but since they are application frameworks in
their own right I think they provide a lot of functionality beyond
what is needed for the admin console.

David DeWolf from the Pluto team contacted us offering his assistance
in upgrading the admin console to pluto 1.1, and that sparked a very
interesting conversation.  He specifically said that pluto 1.1
supports dynamic addition of portlets, which is key for making the
admin console pluggable.  See:
  http://tinyurl.com/3cdmj3
That was in 12/2005 (!) but maybe we can rekindle that conversation
while we put the finishing touches on G 2.0.

Best wishes,
Paul