I'm sorry. I quite didn't understand your question.

The tests in testsuite run against the functionalities in the Geronimo
server. So you need to start the G server to tun these tests.

When you check out M2, you will always get the latest src and tests
and they will (should) always be in sync. So the unit tests
will(should) pass successfully.

Does that answer your question ? Or was that your question ?

Cheers
Prasad